Validity and duration of a visa
1. Single or multiple visas, which are valid for 12 months at maximum, shall be granted to persons entering Vietnam to execute projects under investment licenses or cooperation contracts with Vietnam agencies and/or organizations, or persons entering Vietnam to work at Vietnam based foreign agencies and their accompanying next of kin and dependents.
2. Single or multiple visas, which are valid for6 months at maximum, shall be granted to persons who have been invited by agencies, organizations and individuals into Vietnam and do not fall into the cases specified at Point A of this Clause;
3. Single visa, which are valid for 15 days, shall be granted to persons applying for entry without any invitation by agencies, organizations and individuals in Vietnam
4. Single visa, which are valid for 15 days, shall be granted to persons applying for entry without any invitation by agencies, organizations and individuals in Vietnam
5. Upon the expiry of their visas, the visa bearers who wish to make other entries into and exit from Vietnam shall have to complete the procedure for applying for new visas
Procedures and application form for a visa
After receiving written replies from the Immigration Department of the Ministry of Public Security or the Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the agencies, organizations and individuals that have invited foreigners into Vietnam shall notify such foreigners to file their applications and photos and receive visas at the Vietnamese diplomatic missions and consular offices in foreign countries. For foreigners to be granted visas at Vietnam's international border gates, the inviting agencies, organizations and individuals shall notify such foreigners to file their applications and photos and receive visas at the Immigration bodies at such border gates.
The Vietnamese diplomatic missions or consular offices in foreign countries shall base themselves on notices of the Immigration Department of the Ministry of Public Security or the Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to grant visas to foreigners upon receiving the latter visa applications and photos.
Foreigners applying for visas for entry into Vietnam without invitation and reception by any Vietnamese agency, organization or individual shall file their visa applications and photos to the Vietnamese diplomatic missions or Consular offices in foreign countries for consideration and granting of visas
The visa application includes the following documents:
• 01 visa application form to Vietnam (form received at the visa authorized office), stamped with a photo size 4x6 cm (not over 1 year, eyes direct contact and hatless head);
• a valid passport or a similar paper (at least valid 1 month longer than the validity of the visa request);
• a notice of invididuals, companies or agencies which invite the applicants of the complete procedures which they have done with the immigration office under the Ministry of Security (if any)
• Visa fees from 10USD to 100 USD depending on types of visas
Foreigners can be granted with visa exemption if they are eligible for as stated in contents of the agreements between the VN SRV with the listed countries. Specifically, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Japan and Korea regardless of types of passports and purposes of entry to Vietnam are eligible for visa exemption if they stay in Vietnam less than 15 days since the entry date. Governmental officials, and officials from the ASEAN secretariat regardless of types of passports are eligible for visa exemption to Vietnam within 30 days. Citizens from Thailand, the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia and Laos holding a normal passport are eligible for a visa exemption to Vietnam if they stay within 30 days. Citizens from China, Bulgaria, Kyrgyzstan, Cuba and the People Democratic Republic of Korea holding a normal passport come to Vietnam for official work and citizens from 46 countries holding diplomatic or official passports are eligible for a visa exemption to Vietnam.
Foreigners who are regularly or temporarily resident in Vietnam for more than 1 year are granted with a time valid regular or temporary residency card by an authorized agency under the Ministry of Security, and are free to arrive to or depart from Vietnam within the timeline stated in the residency card (ID card).
Vietnamese overseas and foreigners who are husbands or wives of Vietnamese overseas or Vietnamese are eligible for the visa exemption if they hold a foreign passport or a similar paper valid for at least 6 months since the entry date and the visa exemption certificate granted by an authorized agency. Details can be consulted directly at a Vietnamese diplomatic representative office or a consulate in the foreign countries.